2008 Chardonnay

Technical Notes for 2008 Chardonnay

Harvest Date: August 24, 2008

Brix: 22

Wine Analysis:

Blend 66% Pollak fruit 34% Keswick fruit

Alcohol 13.8%

P.H 3.82

Malic Acid 0.12g/L

Cooperage 40% French

60% American

40% Neutral

60% New

Free Sulfur 40ppm

Total Sulfur 128ppm

Maturation 8 months

Cases: 300
The fruit was hand picked and chilled overnight in the refrigerated truck.
The fruit was whole cluster pressed and the juice was transferred directly to barrel as a dirty wine. No sulfur or additions were made.
80% of the barrels were inoculated with yeast [CY3079 and VL2] while the remaining 20% were allowed to undergo natural fermentation.
The juice was low in Nitrogen and a feeding programme was developed to complete fermentation without the development of reductive flavors.
The inoculated barrels fermented fairly warm and fermentation was completed in 18 days. The barrels were topped off and sulfured to prevent the onset of secondary fermentation.
The un-inoculated barrels finished primary fermentation in 3 months. The wine was stored on the gross lees with the barrels stirred twice weekly during that period.
Prior to bottling the wine was racked off heavy solids and gross lees. The wine was cold stabilized at 28 degrees for 12 days after which it was racked again. No further additions were made.
Upon measure the N.T.U of the wine [turbidity] the wine was filtered through a 2 micron plate and frame filter and free sulfur was adjusted to 40 ppm.
The wine was bottled May 21st and was sterile filtered during the bottling process.
Color: Golden yellow
Nose: Green apple, cantaloupe with a touch of lemon grass.
Palate: Razor like acidity with subtle toasty notes. Nectarine and pear on the front palate; with a creamy and weighty texture. This wine is more French in style and may warrant cellaring of 3-5 years.